Philippine Menudo is different from the Mexican version which is more of a soup. Menudo in the Philippines is better described as a stew. Traditionally it’s made from pork and/or liver but for my veggie version I changed the pork and/or liver to tofu. A pretty simple change really. It’s not really recommended that foreigners eat the tofu bought at the market. Personally though, I’ve never had any problem eating it but just a warning that it’s not really recommended. In the market, tofu is only about Php3 per cube, in the supermarket on the other hand the cheapest is around Php20 for 4 cubes and they tend to be a bit thinner than those in the market and not quite as fresh.
So on to the dish, Menudo typically is slightly sweet, as most Filipino food is actually, and also slightly tangy (due to the tomato) it is traditionally served with rice.
4 pcs firm tofu
1 small Onion
3 cloves of Garlic
Approx. 1 TBSP Soy sauce
250mls Tomato sauce (if you want it slightly sweeter, get the Filipino blend, if not, buy the original)
1 medium carrot
1 medium potato
- Lightly fry garlic in a pan
- Add the onion and fry until transparent
- Wash and chop up the tofu in to smallish cubes,
- Add the tofu to the onion and garlic
- Fry on a low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Peel and chop the potato and carrots into roughly the same size chunks as the tofu
- Add the carrots and potato to the onion, garlic and tofu
- Add the tomato sauce and half a cup of water
- Cook on a low heat until the carrots and potato are cooked
- Add the soy sauce to taste.
- When the potato and carrot is cooked and the sauce tastes good, it’s time to eat!
You can also pre-cook the tofu (fry the cube on either side till golden brown, then cut up to small cubes) and add when the carrots and potatoes are cooked (step 9). Personally though, I find this a bit dry but everyone has their own preference when it comes to tofu.
Serving suggestion: as previously mentioned Menudo is traditionally served with rice but also tastes pretty yummy with baked
potatoes and cheese.
Serves approximately: 5 – 6 people
Total approx. cost: PHP 60
Total cost per person: PHP 10 (PHP15 including rice)
Length of time: Approx. 30mins
Tip: When you buy tofu, put it in a tub and cover it completely with water, this keeps the tofu fresher for longer.